Saturday, April 3, 2010

Role Reversal

My mother has always been there to take care of my illnesses. I remember she made a special trip from California shortly after my husband and I bought our first home. I had surgery to improve our chances of conception. Mom took care of the details of our home: the cooking and cleaning. She was also my nursemaid - checking my temperature, reminding me to drink plenty of liquids, reminding me to eat, being careful when walking down the steps. She drove me around town until the doctor cleared me to drive. She even helped bathe me when I couldn't reach certain locations.

I never had children. So, I never had the opportunity to be a mom - to nurture a child to adulthood. To witness the pain of growing up. To witness the joy of reaching maturity.
I do, however, play "mom" to my 8-year-old border collie flat-coat retriever mix dog.

Now, I'm a mom to my mom. I'm the nursemaid. I'm doing the cooking and cleaning of the house. I'm driving her around town (a place I'm not very familiar with) so that she can attend to her "normal" routine: a haircut, attending the community theater. I'm making sure she has plenty of water to drink, preparing a cup of bouillon to warm her from the chills. I'm reminding her to take her anti-nausea medication and supporting her holding the glass of water as her hand shakes uncontrollably.

I know why my mother did it - out of love. That's why I'm doing it - out of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment